Availability Reading List
Room on the Broom
by Julia Donaldson
illustrated by Axel Scheffler
The witch and her cat are happily flying through the sky on a broomstick when the wind picks up and blows away the witch’s hat, then her bow, and then her wand! Luckily, three helpful animals find the missing items, and all they want in return is a ride on the broom. But is there room on the broom for so many friends? And when disaster strikes, will they be able to save the witch from a hungry dragon?
After reading the story to the class, process it with these or similar questions:
- Did you like the story?
- Would you have liked to ride on the broom?
- What did the witch do when any of the animals asked if there was room on the broom?
- Do you think she enjoyed the company?
- What do you think her riders thought when they saw the dragon carrying the witch?
- What did you think of how they scared the dragon? Can you picture the conversations they may have had to construct the ‘horrible beast’?
- What did you think of the new broom she created?
- Will you think of room on the broom and be available like the witch when someone asks you for a favor?
For a read-aloud version of the book, watch it on YouTube here.
Click here to find the full list of books on Availability on our Goodreads shelf!
Previous Education Posts:
Do you have any favorite books about Availability? Share them below!