A ‘Puzzle’ Puzzle
Divide the group into small groups and provide each with a different small puzzle. The challenge is to see who can complete their puzzle the fastest. The trick is that each group has a few pieces from the others puzzles. It’s up to each group to come up with a way to trade. Will they work the puzzle first to see what they are missing? Will they do a quick check for pieces that don’t appear to belong? Will they trade a group for everything they are willing to trade or look at the pieces first? Whatever they do they must reach agreement in the group before they do it.
To process this activity, ask these questions:
- Was it difficult to work the puzzle when you weren’t sure you had the right pieces?
- Did you assume a piece fit until you proved it didn’t fit or the other way around?
- What strategies did you use to make decisions?
- Did everyone act with the personality/role you know them for or did anyone differ?
- Was it easy to make decisions in your group or difficult?
- How did it feel as a group to complete the puzzle whether you won or not?