Wisdom Featured Picture Book
Only One You
by Linda Kranz
There’s only one you in this great big world. Make it a better place. Adri’s mama and papa share some of the wisdom they have gained through the years with their eager son. Their words, simple and powerful, are meant to comfort and guide him as he goes about exploring the world. This exquisitely illustrated book explodes with color and honest insights. Kranz’s uniquely painted “rockfish,” set against vibrant blue seas, make an unforgettable and truly special impression. Only One You will inspire parents and children of all ages as they swim through the sea of life.
After reading the story to the class, process it with these or similar questions:
- Did you like the book?
- What are some of the wisdoms in the book?
- Always be on the look out for a new friend.
- Look for beauty wherever you are.
- Blend in when you need to and stand out when you have the chance.
- Find your own way, you don’t have to follow the crowd.
- Know when to speak; know when to listen.
- If you make a wrong turn, circle back.
- If something gets in your way, move around it.
- Set aside some quiet time to relax and reflect every day.
- Appreciate art.
- Make wishes on stars in the nighttime sky.
- Have you heard any of these wisdoms before?
- Have you ever shared wisdom with a younger sibling or friend?
- Think about which wisdom is your favorite. Can you apply it today? This week?
- What did you think about the art in the book? Could you tell that the fish were painted rocks?As an extension of the lesson, you could have each student paint a rock. Pick out some differently shaped fish/rocks from the book to have as an example of how to turn the shape of their rock into a fish.