Patience In Faith
Taking the time necessary to work through a difficult situation
To practice Patience I will:
- change the things I can change and accept the things I cannot
- keep trying until I succeed
- make the most of my wait time
- not interrupt
- not complain during delays
“Patience is a Virtue”
You’ve heard that Patience is a Virtue. How is it that waiting politely can be so virtuous? A look at Impatience may tell us more. When I am impatient I am thinking only about me, my needs, my discomfort, my point of view. Impatience is ego-centric, arrogant and self-centered. Impatience places my needs above others’ needs and even above God. Impatience makes me susceptible to the devil’s temptations. How virtuous does Patience look now?
In 1 Corinthians 13 we hear that Love is Patient. The more love we have for others, the more patience we have for them. Patience removes us from the center of our universe and places God there, so we can love others more than ourselves. This even applies to those who are difficult for us to love.
It takes a lot of practice to develop patience, but thankfully, God has provided us with the Holy Spirit to help us. No matter what we may face today, we know that God has already provided us with the Grace to handle it. And each time we overcome a small trial with Grace, it builds our Patience and our Faith for being able to handle larger and more difficult circumstances. Patience helps us handle challenges with kindness, anger with acceptance and delays without whining. That’s a lot of virtue!
This month, use your Patience to bolster your virtue and focus outside of yourself.
Archived Faith Resources
Children and Family Resources
- What Does It Mean To Be Patient?
- Was I Patient Yesterday?
- Are You Becoming A Patient Person?
- Are You Becoming More Patient?
- Will You Plan To Be Patient Today?
- Benefits To Practicing Monthly Character Qualities
- Benefits To Others (Abbreviated)
- Benefits To The Christian (Abbreviated)
- Benefits To God (Expanded)
- Benefits To Others (Expanded)
- Benefits To The Christian – I (Expanded)
- Benefits To The Christian – II (Expanded)