Decisiveness Reading List
Evie’s Field Day: More than One Way to Win
by Claire Annette Noland
Illustrated by Alicia Teba
Evie loves to run, jump, hop, and win. She even has ribbons and trophies to prove it. So, when the school’s field day comes around, she is sure she will add to her winning collection. When Evie finds herself ahead of the pack, she is faced with an important decision. Does she choose the chance at a trophy or the chance to be a good friend? Join Evie as she navigates the playground and learns about sportsmanship and the challenge of losing.
After reading the story to the class, process it with these or similar questions:
- Did you like the story?
- How do you think Evie felt when she lost at the first few events?
- Do you think losing made her try harder on the next event or give up?
- What do you think Evie was thinking when she saw the baby bird in the path?
- How fast do you think she had to make the decision to help the bird or not? (That’s being decisive!)
- Do you think she was happy with her quick decision?
- Do you think remembering the baby bird in the path will help you make a decision and stick to it the next time you are faced with a hard choice?
The book also has some good sportsmanship activities in the back.
Here is a link for a read aloud by the author with ASL interpretation.
Click here to find the full list of books on Decisiveness on our Goodreads shelf!